The Boats for which there are links to an image are seen as hyperlinks
in light blue under "Boats Built". To have the image used on your custom
product, enter the Boat Name and Hull Number in the appropriate text
box in the product options list on the products page in the shopping
area. To reach the shopping area, click on "Shop Now" in the menu bar
The T-1 Class
The T-1 class submarines were a pair of submarines built for the United States Navy in the early 1950s for use in training submarine personnel and testing submarine equipment. Both submarines of the class served in these roles for over 19 years.
The T-1-class boats were among the smallest operational submarines ever built for the United States Navy. The first unit was planned as an experimental auxiliary submarine with hull number AGSS-570, but instead was built as the training submarine USS T-1 with hull number SST-1. The keel for the Mackerel (SST-1) was laid down on 1 April 1952. She was launched on 17 July 1953. Her sister ship, USS T-2, was planned as SST-2 from the beginning. The Electric Boat Division of the General Dynamics Corporation at Groton, CT constructed both submarines in 1952-1953
The keel of the USS Marlin was laid on May 1, 1952 at the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation, Groton, Connecticut. Marlin was launched on October 14, 1953 and placed in service on 29 November the same year. After fitting out, completion of builder's trials, and a short shakedown period, Marlin departed New London in January 1954 and proceeded to her assigned home port of Key West, Florida.
Marlin and her sister ship Mackerel (SST-1),are the smallest operational submarines built for the US Navy since 1911. It is interesting to note that their general hull design is quite similar to that of the USS Holland, the first submarine accepted by the US Navy.
Designed and classified as a target submarine, Marlin's mission was to act as a target for our anti-submarine forces, and to develop tactics for our submarines to avoid enemy ASW vessels. Her operations consisted primarily of rendering target services to Fleet Sonar School, Key West, and ASW units (both surface and air) in the Key West and Guantanomo Bay, Cuba operating areas. Marlin, however, did possess the most modern operating equipment and machinery at the time and was equipped to fire torpedoes. Despite her role as target and small size, she was quite capable of performing successfully many of the missions common to submarine warfare. If the occasion had arisen, Marlin would have been a very likely candidate for missions in the home waters of the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean.
Marlin was deployed for services to the Fleet Training Group in 1956, 1958, 1959, 1962, and 1972. She was also utilized to train officers qualifying on fleet ballistic missile submarines. Many junior officers received a basic working knowledge of submarine ship handling on Marlin.
Marlin remained in her home waters off Key West from 1963 until her decommissioning in 1973.
Today Marlin is on display as a memorial submarine in Freedom Park at the Greater Omaha Marina at 2000 North 25th Street, in Omaha, Nebraska. She now serves as a reminder of the sacrifice and devotion rendered by the men of the 52 American submarines lost in the Pacific War
USS Mackerel (SST-1)
(Seen operating with USS Chivo (SS-341)
USS Marlin (SST-2)
USS Marlin (SST-2) as Museum
October 14, 1953 Built by:
Electric Boat Division, General Dynamics Corporation, Groton, Connecticut Commissioned:
November 20, 1953Length:
131 feet Beam:
13 feet, 5 inches Draft:
17 feet (surface trim) Displacement: